Filing a Personal Injury Claim or lawsuit with an Orlando Lawyer
There are a few steps you must take in order to file a personal injury claim or personal injury lawsuit with an Orlando attorney. The first is to find an experienced personal injury attorney that specializes in personal injury law and book a consultation.
At the consultation, you will discuss the details of your case and decide if it is worth taking legal action and need to file a personal injury lawsuit.
If you decide to move forward and hire a lawyer they will begin gathering evidence and building your case. Once your case is strong enough, your attorney will file a claim or lawsuit on your behalf.
Hiring a personal injury attorney
If you have been injured in an accident, you may be wondering if you need to hire a personal injury attorney to help you file a claim. There are many factors to consider when making this decision, including the severity of your injuries, the amount of damages you are seeking, and whether or not the other party is contesting your claim.
In general, if you have significant injuries and are seeking a large number of damages, it is advisable to hire an accident or injury attorney. An attorney can help you navigate the legal process, gather evidence to support your claim, and negotiate with the other party to try to reach a settlement.
If you need an attorney, the Florida Bar Association has a referral service that can help you find one.
How to File a personal injury claim
If you’ve been injured in an accident caused by someone else’s negligence, you need to gather as much information as possible to support your personal injury claim. The more evidence you can provide, the better your chances of being compensated for your injuries after you file a claim.
You should take photos of any visible injuries and keep copies of any medical records or bills related to your treatment.
If there were witnesses to the accident, get their names and contact information so they can be interviewed later if necessary. You may also want to file a police report if you haven’t already done so.
When you’re ready to file your personal injury claim, send a written notice to the other party (or their insurance company) that includes:
- Your full contact information.
- The date, time, and location of the accident that caused your injuries.
- A list of your injuries and how they’ve affected your life.
- Any medical treatment you received (or plan to receive) for these injuries. This could include doctor’s visits, x-rays, MRIs, and surgeries. You should also include the names of any doctors or other medical providers you’ve visited since the accident. Be sure to include copies of any documented medical expenses with this notice.
- Other damages you’re requesting compensation for, such as lost wages, loss of future earnings, and pain and suffering. Include specific figures when possible so that the other side can see what exactly you’re asking for in damages.
- When figuring out a value for pain and suffering, consider both physical pain (current and future) as well as psychological effects like depression or anxiety due to the accident or your injuries. A personal injury lawyer can help you determine an accurate value for pain and suffering based on similar personal injury cases in your area.
When you decide to file, contact The Emanuel Firm to file a personal injury lawsuit
When you decide to file a personal injury lawsuit, contact The Emanuel Firm to get started. Our experienced personal injury attorneys will handle your personal injury case and guide you through the process and help you get the compensation you deserve. Call (407) 412-7376 to file your claim today!